You have 2 great options to attend this program:
*Live Interactive Webinar: Attend from your location (please have a laptop/desktop/or ipad to participate)
*Attend at our School
“UnBreak My Heart”: Cardiovascular Disease and Its Dental Considerations
Cardiovascular disease is one of the major diseases affecting adults in the U.S. While mortality from heart disease has been declining steadily recently, hospital admissions related to cardiovascular disease are on the rise, due, in part, to our aging population. Hypertension remains one of the major risk factors for heart failure in men and women. It is often asymptomatic and many times may only be discovered at a routine check-up with a medical or dental professional. This program will provide an overview of cardiovascular disease and the medications used in its treatment. Using case scenarios, special emphasis will be given to developing patient management strategies essential for successful treatment planning and proper care of our medically complex dental patients.
• Discuss the family of cardiovascular diseases and the complex interplay with systemic inflammation and co-morbid diseases.
• Describe the treatment modifications and care planning strategies recommended for dental patients with cardiovascular disease.
“Sugar? Yes, Please!”: Diabetes Mellitus and Its Dental Considerations
Diabetes mellitus remains the seventh leading cause of death in the United States. Of the estimated 29.1 million Americans that have diabetes, 21 million are diagnosed, while 8.1 million remain undiagnosed. Diabetes, and its systemic complications, are often accompanied by, and exacerbated by, numerous other co-morbid conditions. This program will provide participants with an overview of diabetes mellitus, the arsenal of medications used in its treatment, and the impact of both the disease and its treatment on dental therapy. Using case scenarios, special emphasis will be placed on the complex interplay between diabetes and the oral-systemic connection, as well as developing patient management strategies essential for successful treatment planning and proper care of our diabetic patients.
Upon successful completion of this program, participants will be able to:
- Identify the different types of diabetes mellitus, including their symptoms and differential diagnosis.
- Describe the complex interplay of diabetes mellitus with oral-systemic inflammation and co-morbid diseases.
- Review the classes of medications used in the treatment of diabetes along with their mechanisms of action, adverse reactions, and dental considerations.
- Describe the treatment modifications, patient management strategies, and care planning techniques recommended for dental patients with diabetes.
Instructor: Thomas Viola, R.Ph. C.C.P.
In addition to his daily practice of the profession of pharmacy, Thomas Viola also serves the dental professions as a clinical educator, published writer and professional speaker. Tom is a member of the faculty of eight colleges, as well as several national board exam review courses. He is a contributor to several dental professional journals, with pharmacology columns appearing regularly in General Dentistry, AGD Impact, Access Magazine and RDH Magazine. In addition, Tom currently serves on the Advisory Board for General Dentistry and as the Subject Matter Expert for Mosby’s Dental Drug Reference. Tom has presented hundreds of continuing education courses, nationally and internationally, in the areas of dental pharmacology and local anesthesia.