This program is a LIVE INTERACTIVE Webinar. Live webinars are considered live credits, not distance learning.
Requirements to attend a live webinar:
- You will need a smartphone, tablet, laptop or desktop computer to view it. If using a smartphone or tablet, it is best to have the app for the program on your device (i.e. Zoom, GoToWebinar).
- To verify your continued attendance during the class, you will need a microphone, webcam or the ability to type into the program’s live chat.
- Instructors or school personnel will take attendance periodically throughout the class.
- Instructors may call on participants.
- To verify attendance, a code word may be given sometime during the class.
- You will be required to complete and return an evaluation after the course has ended. The evaluation may ask what code word was given.
- You may not receive your Certificate of Completion if we cannot verify your attendance.
Live webinar invitations are emailed to registered students as the course date nears (approximately one day prior to the class).
Certificates of Completion are emailed to students approximately 5 business days after the course.
Herpes simplex virus (HSV) is a common cause of infections of the skin and mucous membranes and an uncommon cause of more serious infections in other parts of the body. HSV is one of the most difficult viruses to control. The fact that herpes simplex is part of a group of other Herpes viruses will be discussed. This course is designed for the participant to recognize and understand the infection process as well as the latency, reactivation, and recurrence issues of herpes as well as treatment options and prevention tactics. The role of the dental team in the proper treatment, as well as the prevention of the spread of the virus to other patients will be covered. This program is a must for the whole dental team.
Upon Completion of this program the participant will be able to:
*Understand the Herpes Simplex Virus
*Identify the common cause of infections of the skin and mucous membrances
*Identify other serious infections which target other parts of the body
*Understand the Virulence of the disease
*Understand the recurrence issues and the effect on dental treatment
*Be familiar with viruses such as human herpes virus 8 (the cause of Kaposi’s sarcoma)
*Understand Herpes Zoster and the correlation between shingles and chicken pox
*Be familiar with the burden of both oral and genital herpes
*Understand the interactions between genital herpes and HIV infections
*Understand the current Pharmacologic Therapies
*Understand the proper treatment and infection control for these specific patients
Ceu’s 3 Credits
Instructor: RoseMarie Candore-Hirshorn CDA,RDA, DSI faculty for over 18 years.