This program can be attended as either a :
*LIVE INTERACTIVE webinar: you will need an i-phone, i-pad, lap top, or desk top to view it. You do not need a microphone or webcam.
Webinar links are emailed one day prior to the class date.
*Attend at our School: we follow all the CDC/State Guidelines for Vocational Schools
Dental Care Consideration for the Cancer Patient
- With the increased life span as provided by current and developing medical therapies, there will be an increasing number of people living longer with cancer disease One or more of your current patients may develop cancer and create a necessity for essential and appropriate oral care in the dental office.
- This presentation will review the above issues to emphasize the importance of interprofessional communication with the medical care providers and necessary and timely care by the dental staff.
- Dental practitioners will have to be competent in oral care for all cancer patients, not just those with oral/oropharyngeal cancers
- What causes cellular changes that lead to cancer: Genetics, Loss of Immune System Defense, Environment, Virus Invasion, other causes
- How does cancer grow and spread?
- Current Medical Management of Cancers
- The new “targeted cancer therapies” – kill the tumor, not the patient
- Dental care considerations when managing a patient with cancers other than oral – solid tumors and hematologic.
- Oral/Oropharyngeal Cancer
- Dentist role in diagnosis and management
- Human Papilloma Virus (HPV)
- “Vaping” – Another risk for oral cancer
- The dentist’s obligation in screening patients for oral/oropharyngeal cancer
Time: 9am to 3:30pm
Credits: 6 CEUs
Location: DSI: 7 Spielman Road Fairfield, NJ or You can Participate in this seminar from your location via live interactive webinar.
Instructor: Dr. Harold Cohen: is currently a Professor Emeritus at Rutgers School of Dental Medicine in Newark, NJ. He ran a private general dental practice in Old Bridge, NJ with an adjunctive focus on Orofacial Pain & Temporomandibular Disorders. In his past role at Rutgers Dental, he oversaw dental care of medically complex patients. He now has significant interests centering on immunology and genetics, which will be significant dental and medical Dx and TX considerations in the future. Dr. Harold Cohen has no financial relationships relevant to this presentation to disclose.
Dental Studies Institute is ADA CERP recognized provider, #07394037. The formal continuing education program of this sponsor are accepted by AGD for Fellowship/Mastership credit. The current term of acceptance extends for 03/03/1994 to 12/31/2024. ADA CERP is a service of the American Dental Association to assist dental professionals in identifying quality providers of continuing dental education. ADA CERP does not approve or endorse individual courses or instructors, nor does it imply acceptance of credit hours by boards of dentistry. Dental Studies Institute designates each activity for continuing education credits. Credits are listed in each course description.
**The Content and format of this Continuing Education course is presented without commercial bias and does not claim superiority of any commercial product or service. No DSI Staff have a financial relationship with this speaker or company.