Learning Objectives: Upon completion of this program, the participant will be able to:
- Describe the endocannabinoid system
- Differentiate between endocannabinoid and phytocannabinoid
- Identify the plants in the cannabis genus and species
- Recognize the influence of historical politics on cannabis in the United States
- Compare and contrast clinical applications of CBD and THC
- Summarize recent research on phytocannabinoid
- Describe factors that influence availability of topical CBD and phytocannabinoid products
- State resources that govern scope of practice for professional use of topical phytocannabinoid
- Explain third party verification and its relevance to plant-based products
Course Description: Cannabidiol (CBD) is a phytocannabinoid; a chemical constituent sourced from plants in the cannabis genus. Other phytocannabinoids include Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), Cannabinol, Cannabigerol, and cannabichromene. Because THC is an hallucinogenic, cannabis cultivation has been banned in the United States for a century. Recent bio-pharma developments in medical CBD, along with passage of federal and state regulations supporting hemp research, has spurred interest in CBD. As a topical, CBD has therapeutic properties as an anti-inflammatory, anti-nociceptive, and anti-oxidant. There are potential risks, benefits, and legal implications for healthcare professionals who are interested in using topical CBD products with clients. This workshop will introduce the endocannabinoid system, examine CBD physiology, explore factors affecting development of and access to cannabis products, compare and contrast phytocannabinoids, and summarize legal & scope-of-practice issues influencing use of topical CBD.
Method of Instruction: Facilitator led discussion, Lecture
- Wednesday, August 28, 2019 Time: 6:00pm—9:00pm
Credits: 3 CEU’s [AGD Code#: 157]
Location: DSI: Fairfield, NJ
Instructor: Virginia S. Cowen, PhD: is a Multi-talented professional with over 20 years’ experience in fitness & wellness. Subject matter expert non-pharmacologic and complementary/alternative therapies for pain and chronic conditions. Hands on expertise in massage, yoga, Pilates, and personal training using a range of techniques. Published author. Successful creator of interdisciplinary professional education programs for small group or online delivery. Sought after presenter on evidence-based health and wellness topics. Technical expertise in scientific writing, literature review, applied clinical research, and comparative-effectiveness research study design.